Sunday, April 21, 2013

Opening Day of Fishing Season

MB -Hop River State Park Rails to Trails
4/20 Sat 1-4pm.
Cloudy, haze and some sun w breeze and in the 50's.
Windham and Columbia CT

Route 6 in Windham, CT and parked in lot across from U-Haul and Card Mill Road.

Biked West to Willimantic and freight yard along Riverside Drive but no trains.

Biking west into Columbia, CT on Hop River State Park Rail to Trails.

Remote section and trail less maintained. Crushed ballast and sand. Two CHD markers alongside Route 6 "Connecticut Highway Department" cement markers. Small bridge over farm track through pasture land.

Stopped at old railroad bridge over the Hop River which is out and impassable. Picturesque spot with flood damage to old stone abutments and rotting railroad ties. I turned back to parking lot to continue my journey from the other side of bridge.

Pucker Street tunnel on Roses Bridge Road. I parked at a fishing turnoff near one way bridge and biked down side embankment of tunnel to pick up trail to head both east and west.

Many fishermen along Hop River. Met up with passing girl on horseback with a skittish thoroughbred. Coventry Open Space marshlands on both sides of trail with waterfowl and ponds.

Some old stone stream crossing bridges and highway overpasses. Stopped at other side of old bridge with sun shining. Found a Hemingrey No. 40 dark green/blue glass telegraph pole insulator in leaf litter and put it in my pocket as a souvenir.

Picturesque farm with a few red pines and rocks on other side of fenced in meadow.

Old blue enamel ware pot left on tree stump. I walked alongside the riverbank at a quiet spot of hemlock and pines. The rail grading was shored up here with fieldstone.

I passed by parking area and lot where I parked by mistake having missed the tunnel exit location. I continued on after noticing new scenery. Amazing stretch of river between Pucker Street tunnel and Parker Bridge Road parking lot. Came across a fishermen's encampment.


The trail well maintained with red sand and gravel. Passed dog walkers and fishermen. One boy caught a large trout and was having his picture taken. Great fishing spots. I found a new river to fish!

I made my way to the Parker Bridge Road lot and turned back having finished the Bolton to Windham sections of trail.


KFC in East Windsor for dinner, as I skipped my lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment